You have been hired to fill a need in your organization. While some bosses know exactly what they want, many don’t, or at least have difficulty in expressing it. They have hired you to make their life easier and you must keep in mind that you are 100% responsible for creating and maintaining this relationship. Think of your boss as your best customer, and do what you need to do to make them happy and keep buying your brand.
The following tips will help you negotiate your relationship with your boss and make you an asset to the organization.
1. Get to Know Your Boss’ Communication Style
- How does your boss like to receive information? What format?
- Does she want to talk things over or does she want to think about things first?
- Does she like detail or just the big picture?
- What time of the day or week is best?